world flags

VetAgro Sup trainings are open to international students under specific terms for each curriculum or types of mobility:

  • Diploma-awarding or double degree mobility
  • Exchange programs mobility
  • Clinical or research internship mobility

Academic information

VetAgro Sup uses the ECTS system to transfer credits. The academic year starts in September and for a duration of two semesters (see the “Academic calendar” section below)

The teaching language at VetAgro Sup is French. Some courses/modules are taught in English. The B1 level in French is the minimum required to attend courses.

French rating system

       Local Grade Description English Description
16 -20 outstanding performance with only minor errors Excellent
15 - 16 above the average standard but with some errors Very Good
13 - 14 generally sound work with a number of notable errors Good
11 -12 fair but with significant shortcomings Satisfactory
10 performance meets the minimum criteria Sufficient
08 - 09 Fail – some more work required before the credit can be awarded Fail
00 - 08 Fail – considerable further work is required Fail
P Participation:  the student has successfully and regularly attended the course. Participation

Practical information


Social protection

Students who are nationals from the European Economic Area, Island, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland or Quebec should provide one of the following documents which cover the risks of sickness, hospitalization, accident and civil liability:

  • The European health insurance card (calling card, individual and valid for one year – CEAM)
  • The E 106 print delivered by the social welfare system of your country of origin and for the academic year
  • A private insurance of your choice and taken before the departure of your country of origin. This insurance must cover all risks and without tariff restrictions.

Foreign nationals from outside the European Economic Area

You are under 28 :

Affiliation to the French social security scheme is mandatory (article L115-6 of the French social security code) even if you are already affiliated to a foreign social security scheme or a private insurance. The inscription is at the start of academic year. The cost is 203 € for the academic year 2011/2012. If you are a grant holder from the French or a foreign government (BGE-BGF), you should be affiliated but you won’t have to pay. Membership to a complementary health insurance is not compulsory but highly recommended (the French social security only reimburse part of medical costs). It also gives civil liability coverage, which is mandatory in France.

Cost: from 60€ to 580€ per year, depending on the complementary health insurance and the coverage for the academic year 2011/2012.
LMDE (student insurance):
SMERRA (Student insurance):

You are above 28 and not insured by the founder of your training (for instance: Campus France) :

You should take a private insurance of your choice before departing from you country of origin. This insurance must cover all risks and without tariff restrictions. This insurance can also be taken upon your arrival, you must then handle the process with the foreign students section.

Subscription of a civil liability coverage is mandatory during training and practical training periods.


As a general rule, a visa is required for non-EEC foreign nationals wishing to come to France. It must be applied for from the relevant French embassy or consulate in the applicant’s country of residence.

The type of visa required to enter France depends on both the duration of your stay and your reasons, except for a special case:

  • For stays equal to or shorter than 90 days, the visa issued is a short-stay visa, often known as a “Schengen visa”
  • For stays longer than 90 days, the visa to be issued is a long-stay visa appropriate to the duration of an reasons for your stay

Student visa

  1. Short stay student visa

This visa permits its holder to come to France to study for stays equal to or shorter than 90 days. Students wishing to attend a language school or another short duration training can apply for this visa (not renewable)

  • Student examination visa

The student examination visa allows the holder to enter France to sit for an entrance examination or other form of examination required as part of the process of applying for admission to a public or private institution of higher education in France. Students who pass the exam may apply directly (without first returning home) for a renewable 1-year residency permit at the prefecture for the area in which the student’s new institution is located.

  • Long stay visa without residency permit

This visa permits its holder to enroll in a public or private institution of higher education for three to six months. This visa in non renewable and doesn’t allow a residency permit. The holder can stay in France for a period of no longer than 6 months.

  • Long stay student visa

This visa permits its holder to come to France to study in an institution of higher education for stays equal to or longer than 90 days. The holder can apply for a renewable 1-year residency permit at the prefecture within 2 months after his/her arrival to France.

Since the end of 2011, Consulates of France abroad can also deliver a VLS-TS visa. The new VLS-TS visa applies to all international students wishing to enroll in a French institution of higher education. Holders of the VLS-TS visa no longer have to obtain a residency permit from the prefecture having jurisdiction over their place of residence in France, but they do have to report to the OFII and complete several administrative formalities.

To learn more, check the website:

Mobility grant

The website “CampusBourses” delivers instant information on financial aid by allowing you to perform searches customized to your needs. From the licence (bachelor) to the postdoc levels, “CampusBourses” contains data on grant and scholarship programs of national and local governments, corporations, foundations, and institutions of higher education.


More information : Students Welcome Desk Pack